I had the opportunity to interview Yoda from Star Wars, asking him advice on parenting as research for my newest book.
I asked him why he thinks so few Jedi warriors can be found these days. Of course, he quickly replied, “Children I do not have, but advice for parents I have plenty.”
He gave me these 10 reasons why parents aren’t raising Jedis like they used to. But I think he was feeling a bit snarky. At any rate, enjoy!
- “Protect your child from inconvenience and failure, you should. Grow in fortitude and resilience, never will they.”
- “Touch a lightsaber never should they. Dangerous are Jedi skills.”
- “Award you should, participation ribbons. Celebrate you should, mediocrity.”
- “Intervene you should, when low school grades they get. Helpful is it. Dependent forever on you, will your child be.”
- “Entitlement you should teach. Owes them a living the Force does.”
- “In your basement should they live–into their 30s they should well be.”
- “Coddle them you should.”
“Follow these simple rules you will, then Peter Pan your kid will be. The Dark Side will he join….Finished I now am.”
Okay, well there you have it… seven pieces of wisdom for us parents to live by. Said it better I couldn’t have.